Month: May 2014
I get this question – a lot. Sellers are anxious to get their homes on the market and get it sold. They want to move on with their lives.
The answer is quite simply, “Yes”. Patience Pays! Why? Here are seven reasons:
1) My photographer will be there. He will take photos to highlight your homes features. These photos will be syndicated on 1000’s of websites. It will be the first opportunity more than 90% of homebuyers see your home. Your home needs to be in the best shape possible for these photos.
2) Getting your home “show ready” is more than minor touch ups of paint. It includes decluttering, repairing trim, staging, maintenance (especially sewer if you have one), landscaping, replacing old carpet, etc. If buyers walk in and see things that are not in proper order, they will over estimate the amount required to fix them and undervalue your home.
3) Even with the low inventory, buyers are still looking for a deal. They are willing to wait for the right house or the right community. Many have just enough for the down payment and don’t have extra money to throw in for that new carpet or to paint the house.
4) Put yourself into the buyer’s perspective. If you were shown two homes; one in great condition and one that needed a couple thousand dollars worth of work, which would you choose?
5) Homes that are show ready sell faster and for higher amounts than those that aren’t. Even if you agree to fix items during due diligence and while the home is listed. On average homes that need work are on the market for 3 times longer than those ready to go.
6) Realtors will stop showing your home if it is not in great condition. We Realtors are gossipy types. We love to talk about what’s on the market. If your home isn’t in the best shape, the whole town will know pretty quickly.
7) I address these concerns with my sellers before the home is listed. I suggest that they get their homes “Certified Pre-Owned”. That way they are in the best shape possible to get the best amount possible for their home.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged apex, cary, Durham, home buying, home inspection, home selling, homes, knightdale, mortgage, real estate, realtor, rolesville, selling raleigh, wake forest.